AAWAA CALL FOR CURATORIAL PROPOSALS
DEADLINE: October 3rd, 2017, 11:59PM PST
The Asian American Women Artists Association (AAWAA) is currently accepting exhibition proposals for its Emerging Curators Program (ECP) which will culminate in two public multidisciplinary art exhibits at community spaces in the SF Bay Area in Spring 2017. Through a series of four (4) guided workshops, weekly check-ins, and hands-on assistance, AAWAA provides mentorship and support for exhibition production from start to finish.
Designed to remove barriers to entry for would-be curators, and increase exhibition opportunities for Asian Pacific American (APA) women artists, the Emerging Curators Program is open to all curators of color of any gender who are interested in curating exhibition themes relevant to APA women artists. We welcome proposals from artists and curators with little or no experience as well as established curators who are new to curating APA women focused exhibitions. Learn more about ECP and see past exhibitions.
Pamela Ybanez, Artist & Curator
Eliza Gregory, Artist & Curator
Melanie Elvena, Arts Producer & Curator
Michelle A. Lee, Interdisciplinary Artist & Curator (Shifting Movements, Hungry Ghosts, Eating Cultures)
Adobe Books Back Gallery, June 2018
San Pablo Art Gallery, March 2018
- A 300-500 word curatorial proposal highlighting key ideas, themes, and aesthetic vision for an exhibition with a majority of its artworks to be by Asian Pacific American women artists
- Applicant’s short biography (250 words max) or resume
- Signed agreement to participate in four (4) ECP workshops (Oct 21-22, 2017), exhibition installation, opening reception, and deinstallation (schedule flexible)
- A list of artists and artworks proposed for the exhibition
- Up to 8 images of artwork by artists to be included in the exhibition
- Up to 3 video link urls on publicly hosted sites (i.e. youtube, vimeo, etc.)
- Workshops and guidance with Curatorial, Fundraising, Planning, and Publicity Mentors
- Exhibition, Venue and Publicity costs covered
- $1,000 Stipend per accepted ECP Curatorial Proposal
- All curators of color of any gender who are interested in curating exhibition themes relevant to Asian American women artists
- Teams with two or more people are welcome to apply (stipend will be divided equally among team members)
- The majority of artworks included in the proposal should be by Asian Pacific American women artists
- Curators must be able to attend the scheduled workshops October 22nd and 28th, and commit to weekly check-ins with program coordinators
Notification Date: October 6, 2017
Sunday, October 22, 2017
Saturday, October 28, 2017
The AAWAA ECP Committee will review all submitted proposals. Proposals will be judged primarily on the strength and clarity of curatorial concepts, quality of proposed artwork (if applicable), and feasibility of successful execution (space/time limitations, etc.) One exhibition proposal with pre-selected artists and one exhibition proposal with no / few pre-selected artists will be chosen.
HOW TO APPLY: Complete ECP Online Form
DEADLINE TO APPLY: October 3rd, 2017, 11:59PM PST
Need more info? Email firstname.lastname@example.org with questions.